- The most popular comment made by this cohort of parents and carers was that they have received little to no support from SEND services as a result of the coronavirus pandemic – a contrast to the positive comments.
- Others in this cohort mentioned appointments being postponed or cancelled, longer waiting lists, and limited numbers for online services.
- Some of these respondents feel like they have been forgotten; many have experienced feelings of loneliness and isolation.
Negative impacts of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
Negative impacts of the coronavirus pandemic on respondents’ experience with SEND services
Base (2021 sample): 274 (responses from at least 25 respondents)
- Have received little or no support from SEND services (40%)
- Negative effect on social skills (16%)
- Lack of communication (16%)
- Negative effect on learning (15%)
- Increased strain on family (11%)
- Negative impact on mental health (11%)
- Delays in support (10%)
- No face-to-face appointments (9%)