- Remaining consistent since Wave Two, the majority of trial users feel safe riding an e-scooter in most locations, the exception being ‘on the road with no cycle or bus lane’ where 36% felt ‘unsafe’ or ‘very unsafe’ in Wave Three
- Trial users have felt most safe using the trial in a cycle lane separated from the road, with 87% feeling ‘safe’ or ‘very safe’ using rental e-scooters here
- Generally, trial users appear to feel safer sharing different spaces with e-scooter riders than non-trial users; these results have remained consistent with Wave Two
- The majority of users feel very safe sharing a cycle lane separated from the road with e-scooter riders (85%), compared to 30% of non-users
- A third of trial users feel very safe sharing the road with a marked cycle lane with e-scooter riders, compared to only 4% of non-users
- Of respondents who selected ‘Other’, 135 left applicable comments. A third said they feel unsafe in pedestrian only spaces, whilst 30% feel their sense of safety depends on the rider rather than area
If you have used an e-scooter as part of the rental trial, where have you felt safe riding it?
Base: Trial users – from top to bottom – W2 (589), W3 (270) | W2 (589), W3 (269) | W2 (590), W3 (270) | W2 (589), W3 (266) | W2 (594), W3 (270)
Thinking about any occasions where you were sharing space with people using e-scooters, how safe did you feel?
Base: Trial users – from top to bottom – (244), (244), (241), (244), (244) | Non-users – from top to bottom – (1,557), (1,561), (1,532), (1,588), (1,564)
Base: Total sample: 135
|wdt_ID||Key themes||Percentage (%)|
|1||Unsafe in pedestrian only spaces / pavements||33|
|2||Greater concern about unsafe riders||30|
|3||Feel unsafe anywhere||5|
|4||Concern for riders safety||5|